Strange light socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I was just wondering if anyone had any pointers for an issue that i have.

I have just bought a new property that has an outhouse. Recently the dimmer switch in the outhouse stopped working (as in you could turn the lights on but not off again) - this type of switch http://www.decswitch.com/shop/info_1133.html. As i thought it was the switch i bought another one to replace it. When i unscrewed the switch some of the wires came out of the connecting terminals on the dimmer unit to reveal that there are 3 earths, 2 lives and no neutrals (the neutrals are actually connected together, see here -

As im not sure how the last dimmer was connected can anyone advise how i should continue? And does this look dangerous?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
The earths all connect to the earth terminal as its a metal front.

The browns to the dimmer terminals.

Thanks guys.

So there are 3 connectors on the back of the dimmer switch. One marked live, one marked neutral and one in the middle which seems to be for when you have more than one switch on a circuit. So, i just re-install both into the live connector?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
One marked live, one marked neutral
That is very unlikely.

So, i just re-install both into the live connector?
There will have been instructions included with the product.

Please read the links above.

Wires can be anything we want them to be; they do not know what colour they are.

If you put the two brown wires ( one the permanent live and the other the switched live ) into the same terminal on the switch ( dimmer ) then the light will be ON all the time and the switch will have no effect.

Put one brown wire into the terminal marked Live
Put the other brown wire into the terminal marked ~

Thanks for all of your answers guys, and yes i certainly need to learn more about this subject. I will be reading up on it tonight.

Thanks again.

W.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back