Strange marks after stripping...!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I recently stripped the layers of old paint off a bannister using paint stripper (Solvistrip) and even though it managed to get the majority of it off, there were blobs here and there.
Went back today to get the rest off (must be about a month after the stripper) and after scraping and sanding, there are what look like stains on the wood.
I was hoping to use Danish oil to finish them and the part I'd tried, still shows the marks through.
Does anyone know what they are and what would be the best steps next?

Thanks.

DSC_0128.JPG

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply. Initially I washed the paint stripper off with water and when I came back to it later, the paint was only in small blobs, so I scraped it off.
Just realised that I put Solvistrip, but I had actually used King Strip. Don't know if that makes a difference...?

Sponsored Links
It may be, but the parts that are stained were the parts that the stripper didn't remove. It's a pinkish colour where the leftover blobs were.

If it is water staining, do you have any idea of how I can sort it?

Cheers.

It could be primer residue, have you tried cleaning again with stripper.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back