Strange metallic sounding clicks / ticks coming from wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a very strange problem in that I keep hearing metallic clicking sounds from one of the walls in the living room. The sound happens all year round and happens at all hours of the day. It also happens when the central heating is off (haven't had it on at all over the past few weeks and the clicks are still happening). They aren't consistent and appear to happen randomly.

I've found that I can get the sound to occur by pushing on one particular area in the middle of the wall, but after pushing the wall / making it click, it then doesnt click any more unless you leave it for a while before pushing on the wall again.

I was thinking perhaps it was a copper pipe expanding and contracting, but again it happens when the temperature is stable and there is no central heating on at all.

Anyone know what this could be? I'm thinking I might have to open the wall up to sort this...

Sponsored Links
What type of wall is it? Timber stud? Metal framed stud? (the age of the house may be clue, here)

It's one of the side walls of our house and it appears to be plaster board on the inside, so I guess that'll be nailed onto a wooden frame?
The house was built in 1980 if that's any help? :)

Sponsored Links
No it's not a party wall, there is however a gate hung off the other side of it.
Perhaps this could be causing the clicks? But then how would me pushing against the plasterboard on the inside also cause the click to occur?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back