Strange noise from heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a "brrrrr"ing noise coming from my heating. However, this has only occurred since I drained down the system and installed new TRVs and Lockshields on all the radiators.

It is a sealed pressurised system and I cannot work out why it has suddenly started doing it since being re-filled. I think maybe there is air in the system but I have bled all the radiators and all the other bleed valves and yet there is still the same noise. If the hot water system is active at the same time it doesn't occur but then the radiators don't seem to get hot either. It's driving me mad! I can't work out what's wrong... If just the hot water is on then there also is no problem. Any ideas anyone?

Sponsored Links
:LOL: My wife is more of a "nagging" noise to be honest when I won't put the heating on. Of course it's even worse now there's another noise :(

Thanks for the suggestion but what do you mean by check any zone valve is operating correctly? Do you mean the motorised valve? Or the bypass circuit?

Sponsored Links
Did you fit an auto bypass valve?

Are there TRVs on ALL of the rads?

Tony

Put ya coat on sweetheart I'm goin to tha club ......... Woo ya haven't took me out in weeks...... I'm not ..... But I'm turnin the heatin off while I'm gone

:confused:

The motorised valve seems ok, I've checked it out and it seems to divert as expected.

The hall radiator doesn't have a TRV, it has a room thermostat instead. There is a manual bypass. But I haven't touched that, it is just a tap, I could try turning that on a bit more I guess but then I would assume the heating wouldn't work at all when the hot water is on? I also have circulation problems, it needs to be very finely balanced or the furthest radiators from the pump don't get hot. I would suspect turning the bypass on would mess that up.

The noise today sounds more like a water tank filling, the same kind of rushing sound.

Just been playing with the bypass valve, I can eliminate the noise by opening it a little but then the furthest radiators don't work :( Seems to be something to do with the flow. Would noise reducer do any good or is that just for the actual boiler itself? Only other thing I can think of is an automatic bypass valve rather than the current manual one.
Any other suggestions greatfully received?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back