strange noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
help...ive recently bought my first house, a nice end of terrace 2bed. during the day and night theres a strange noise from the ceiling, like a sharp kind of creaking noise - hard to explain, but its like someones dropped a small marble on the floor in the loft!?!

the structural report was all clear and ive been up to investigate and can see no sign of any defects. all beams are in good nick, no cracks, damp, leaks and roof is water tight. the bedroom ceiling has no cracks or any sign of damage.

before i seek professional advice, has anyone got an info that might be helpful?

house is 16yrs old, in very good order, but this 'creaking' noise is starting to really annoy me. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Its those pesky squirrels playing marbles again. Had a group of them round my house last night. Marbles season runs from 12th November to 24th December. :cool:

It sounds like expansion/contraction is either the joists/rafters or trusses. Nothing to worry about - but not likely to go away either.

you can also get creaking noises from plastic waste pipes, especially in cold weather. in the cold they contract a bit, and when hot water runs down then they expand.

Climb into the loft with your torch and see if you can track it down.

If you can find a single point, you may be able to do something about it.

It's not a scuttering noise like rodents walking about, I hope.

Sponsored Links
thanks for the info. ive been up there this afternoon and have looked everywhere but can see nothing wrong at all?!

its hard to explain the noise, but its like a sharp cracking noise, like youve just snapped a ruler in half. doesnt happen at any particular time, but its annoying :mad:

thanks for the info. ive been up there this afternoon and have looked everywhere but can see nothing wrong at all?!

but its annoying :mad:
look where the soilpipe goes thru the void and then the felt/tiles....it`ll be trapped on the ceiling by a piece of wood...99% of them are :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back