strange paint bubbling on door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
some of the doors in the house we moved into have a strange bubbling on them. It looks like a satinwoood finish. When scraped it comes off in rough strips and the wood is visible underneath. Not sure what the cause is, because it is only on part of the doors (around 20% of the total door.) I've scraped off all the affected areas and sanded them down. This has left me with areas of the door where the old coats of paint meet with the newly exposed timber areas. I was told by homebase that I needed to apply a few coats of acrylic primer/undercoat to the bare wood until it was smooth with the old paint coat. Then I can apply a top coat to the whole door. Is this right? Is it ok to paint a new coat of satinwood onto the old satinwood and the newly primed wood? is there something better than acrylic primer/undercoat?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the wood wasnt properly prepped & primed before painting..
Does the visible wood have a stain or varnish? Does it feel oily?
Is the existing door paint water-based or oil?
You need to rub-off as much of the defective paint as possible & prime the affected areas as mentioned ..Acrylic primer will do so long as the wood hasnt had some kind of treatment ;Varnish/stain etc.
2 or 3 Good thick TRADE oil based topcoats (satin / eggshell) should help feather-out the paint edges - if theyre too 'deep' then lightly skim them with Red Devil 'Onetime' filler or' fine-surface fille'r & sand smooth with 100 or 120 grit paper , prior to painting
Eggshell & satinwood are self-undercoating (over primer)

Does the visible wood have a stain or varnish? Does it feel oily?

it is sticky and it feels a bit damp, so it may well be that paint was put straight onto the varnished pine door.

Is the existing door paint water-based or oil?

It looks like a satinwood finish. It's definitely not shiny enough to be gloss, though it could be peeled if the edge was lifted.

Acrylic primer will do so long as the wood hasnt had some kind of treatment ;Varnish/stain etc.
2 or 3 Good thick TRADE oil based topcoats (satin / eggshell) should help feather-out the paint edges

what will happen if it had been treated and I put acrylic over it?

My plan was to put a few coats of acrylic primer undercoat and then two coats of dulux once satinwood. will that be ok?

If it peels then its sounds like the door varnish wasnt rubbbed down and/or prepped/primed before painting..
(assuming the door isnt oiled/waxed) a light sand and an acrylic primer will suffice before 2 top-coats but if the paint readily peels then it would be judicious to strip the top coat of satin/eggshell & start from scratch (ooh, pun ) rub down >prime>2-coats satin or eggshell

Sponsored Links
It may be relevant to know how old the house, and the doors are. Old varnish is difficult to paint over. I have never painted over an oiled finish but I would be wary.

Maybe it was just dirty or had that horrible cigarette coating on it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back