Strange RCD tripping issue

Finally found time today to soak test the outside lights.

Only lighting cable 4 (the suspect cable) connected. ALL live and neutral wires for all other lighting cables disconnected. The water feature pump cable is still connected, but was not turned on, only the garden lights were turned on providing power to lighting cable 4.

Within 10 minutes the RCD had tripped. Does this categorically prove the issue is with lighting cable 4?

Sponsored Links
Finally found time today to soak test the outside lights.

Only lighting cable 4 (the suspect cable) connected. ALL live and neutral wires for all other lighting cables disconnected. The water feature pump cable is still connected, but was not turned on, only the garden lights were turned on providing power to lighting cable 4.

Within 10 minutes the RCD had tripped. Does this categorically prove the issue is with lighting cable 4?

No! All it does is prove it is lighting cable 4, or something on that circuit, or the water feature pump. As said several times - YOU HAVE TO ENSURE BOTH LIVE AND NEUTRAL have been disconnected. Turning things off, is simply not enough to prove anything.

Not totally. But disconnect it and run with the rest of installation all connected for a week. Or use an IR tester to definitively confirm the presence of a fault.

Good idea. I'm not going to have time to replace the junction boxes today anyway, which is my guess as to what is causing the issue.

I will re-connect everything except lighting cable 4 and see how it goes.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back