Strange spots on ceiling after plastering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Hi people. Long time lurker; new member. Just had a plasterer in (last Friday) to do our kitchen ceiling. Installation of new kitchen units is starting on Monday and I wanted to get a couple of coats of paint on it before they start.

There are random spots throughout the ceiling - at first I presumed the plaster was still wet and needed time to sort itself out but they're still there.

Any suggestions on what these are and whether it would be ok to start with a watered down first coat.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply. The kitchen company didn't mention any need for waiting any longer - said to give it a couple of days and had booked the installation of units for just over a week later. Do you think it's gonna be a problem to paint now? Cheers.

Sponsored Links
The wife is pretty certain it was over existing artex. Do these spots look like plaster that hasn't dried properly yet? I even wondered if it could be mould. Thanks again for the replies.

They may be old grease spots that were on the ceiling.....

The wife is pretty certain it was over existing artex. Do these spots look like plaster that hasn't dried properly yet? I even wondered if it could be mould. Thanks again for the replies.
was it a stipple effect artex? looks like the pattern from the artex may be grinning through and some havent dried yet, get up on a step ladder and see if the circles are flat i must say it doesent look flat from the picture

Deffo grease/oil stains from yrs of build up on the kitchen ceiling through cooking. As the plaster dries it sucks the contents of the substrate and it shows through the new plaster.

Stain blocker will help if the plaster is ok. Seen this loads of times.

The ceiling hs been reskimmed not boarded as this would not show through with an overboard and skim.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back