Strange sticky substance...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've recently bought a flat and have been stripping paint off a number of wooden surfaces in my hall using a heat gun (bannisters, door frames etc.)
The top coats of paint come off fine but the last coat before the wood is a bizarre substance that, when heated, turns into a sticky plastic gunk which is almost impossible to get off. I've tried sanding it off, but with little effect - it seems to clog up sandpaper almost immediately.

Does anybody know what this bizarre substance could be? (it's a light beige colour) I presume it's some type of very old primer or wood sealant. If anyone can shed light on the mysterious stuff, i'd be most grateful.

Sponsored Links
Eddie is probably right. But, depending on age of the flat, it could also be old lead based paint, which also as a tendency to do as you describe.

You may be best doing a search on removing lead paint, this will explain what to look for.

I am probably wrong, but it is safer for you to make sure.

Sponsored Links
I had the same stuff around the edges of my floors, where the carpet didn't meet the wall.

I removed it with a drill, metal sanding disc, and a wire brush (to clean the disc every few minutes). Its hard work, but it will come off eventually.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back