Strange Storage Heater problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, having a problem with a storage heater. ive replaced the thermostat assembly and it still wont come on. I wired it up direct to the mains as a temporary measure using a 13 amp plug and it worked fine (well at least it started to heat up!) - I then set it up overnight for it to work as it should but it didnt come on overnight, I decided to get up early and test that power was getting to the elements (neon tester) and it was.

I am at a loss to understand why it worked on a standard 240v 13 amp plug socket but not when wired into the over night circuit ?

if the elements worked on a 13 amp plug why wouldn't they work on the overnight circuit, even when power is being received through the circuit. i even changed the circuit breakers around in the consumer unit and tested the circuit breakers in a 'normal' circuit.

my next option is to change the elements - though as they worked through a 13 amp plug socket, why would that make a difference?

any suggestions please?

Sponsored Links
if the elements worked on a 13 amp plug why wouldn't they work on the overnight circuit,

Almost certain the over night ciruit is at fault. If the elements heat when supplied from the 13 amp plug then they are not faulty and do not need replacing.

A neon tester can give false results. If the Neutral wire in the over night circuit is not connected ( screw terminal bcome loose etc etc ) the heater will not have a power supply but your neon will light up on the Live and mislead you into thinking there is power.

brilliant thanks. just checked the circuit and when the heater was moved some years ago it was wired through an additional switch (behind a wardrobe unit) just cut a hole in the back to check the connections and its exactly as you described. i will replace the switch later today and post the result in the morning !!

Another example of why the use of single pole testers for this type of fault finding are is to be eschewed.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back