Strange system with mind of its own - loads of issues!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have just moved in to a new property. I have had loads of problems with the heating and hot water this is whats happened to date:

Turned water of to change some piping around. Heating and hot water back on ok.
Timer started playing up wouldn't turn on or off when it should do - new timer replaced, then when hot water was turned on the heating would also come on even though thermostat was down to the lowest point, thought a faulty 3 way valve.
Finished off putting new radiator on last weekend drained system etc, now strangely hot water and heating will go on independantly so valve has "fixed itself"!!
Since then we put the water on for 30 minutes in the morning an hour before we shower, we have a stuart turner pump with 15mm hot and cold inlet. The shower is scalding (no exageration) this is with the thermostat turned to the lowest setting. The only way possible to even have a shower is to close the hot water valve leading to the shower pump so that it is nearly closed so that the hot water is not going to leave you with 3rd degree burns! It is like the cold water is not going through or something. Both inlet valves turn easily and seem to be opened fully. The thermostat on the tank is set to 60 degrees C.
This morning i had a shower and my partner had one straight after and then there was no water coming out of the upstairs hot taps? I could hear the tank refilling but even after the tank refilled there was still nothing. Hot water is coming out of the downstairs taps.

We have a baxi boiler, hot water storage tank, a honeywell st699 controller.

Can anyone unravel this mystery, we would just like to have hot water for a shower when we want, the heating to turn on when we want and just act like a normal system! :cry: :?:

Sponsored Links
have a look @ the roof tank - check ballvalve flow rate - and it`s condition . Look @ the shower mixer - if it`s thermostatic then the stat capsule/spring is broken . OR it`s a manual mixer. Not sure on the heating/electrics - I just used to fit the sysystems and sparky wired them :oops:

have a look @ the roof tank - check ballvalve flow rate - and it`s condition . Look @ the shower mixer - if it`s thermostatic then the stat capsule/spring is broken . OR it`s a manual mixer. Not sure on the heating/electrics - I just used to fit the sysystems and sparky wired them :oops:

Hi Thanks for this the shower has two controls in the wall one turns the water on and off the other has numbers 1 to 5 for the temperature would that be a manual mixer or thermostatic - if the capsule or spring is broken how would i replace??

Sponsored Links
have a look to see if the 3 port valve has the hot water off connection wired up, there are 2 connections one in the cylinder stat and the other is in the programmer, this may help

http://www.octaveblue.co.uk/c_heating/[/QUOTE]

Hi thanks for this but i couldn't see how the wiring could now be at fault the hot water was working fine until we drained it then refilled it again. Now we solved one problem and two more have sprung up!! Is this too much of a mystery for anyone, surely someone must have an idea what could be linking all these problems together!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back