Strange Vertical Crack Near Conservatory Door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am seeing a crack on the side of this door between the conservatory and the reception. I think this started first very small over the years, anything I can remember is from summer 2017. I have noticed some noise around the door in summer 2018 and the crack becoming slightly larger.

There is no storey on top of that wall, it is bearing the weight of a flat roof and its own brickwork. I am also not 100% sure if a lintel is present in the structure.

The door is between the reception and conservatory if you look at the map and you can see also my video in the album to have a better feeling of the structure.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/wib2wzeqGRYULeEh7

Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
The building on one side of the crack is moving away from the building on the other side of the crack.

A job for a structural engineer or the insurance.

The building on one side of the crack is moving away from the building on the other side of the crack.

A job for a structural engineer or the insurance.

Would go straight to the insurance? I do not see any lines on the wall on the first floor closer to the bedrooms (on top of the living room)

It could be shinkage, but it seems a bit too much and been going on a bit too long for that, is this less likely on an internal wall. So as the ceiling is involved too it may be a case of looking for a more probable cause which is movement.

Sponsored Links
t looks like the wall which is not part of the original house may have movement in the foundation either heave pushing the area around the doorway up or subsidence on either end.

As woody says only way to be sure is a survey by an independent structural engineer, it could just be minor movement that will stop, but best to get it checked. Personally I would avoid getting your insurance company involved till you have had someone look at it, but avoid just asking a builder you might get drawn into expensive work that is not needed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back