Strange Wiring on a 3 gang light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have recently successfully changed all but one light switches and power sockets to give my house a more modern look.
I came across no problems until I tackled the hall way switch.

The switch controls the landing, as part of a two way system, the hall (one way) and outside light (one way).

It sounds easy, however it is complicated. When I removed the switch there was a red wire connecting each com point within the switch. Why is this?

Anyway, when I have come to fit the new switch nothing works properly!

I end up with what appears to be a master switch that grants power to the switch and thus gives power to the circuit. I end up with two switches being able to control one light.

Can anyone help with how this circuit should be wired?

A picture is attached to give you some help.

205000_204452_70057_59907710_thumb.jpg

Sponsored Links
Your assumption about which wires go where is not correct.

Are you sure you have drawn the correct number of wires - e.g you have three going to the outside light?

Could you tell us which wires come from the same sheath (ignore the CPCs - earths) or post a clear picture?

The link between the coms offer a permanent live to the switching circuit.
Looking at you interpretation via the diagram of the workings of the circuit is nonsense!
If you had have followed the tried and tested rules of noting down the cable colours, connections to switch and repeated that on your new switch I doubt you would have this problem.

You now need to inform us of the cables colours within the box and whether they are within sheaths of cables normally grey and the marking on the switch plate and the same at the second two way switch.

There will probably be 5 wires, not 6 in your hall switch.

Permanent feed, this connects to one of the coms, along with the link wires.

One wire in L1 of hall switch.

One wire in L1 of outside light switch.

Two wires (probably red and black from same sheath) to L1 and L2 of two way landing switch.

IF there are any more wires, they will in all probability be neutrals for the outside light.

You need a multi meter to work out which are which.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the help securespark. Perfect.

Confidence has been brought back down, rightly so. Back to basics next time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back