strange

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Decided to put some new downlights in the alcove yesterday..small chase in the wall for my new switch wire so I could switch them seperate to my main living room light..located some jbs under the floorboard.. Switched all downstairs lights off and found what I thought was the mains..wired my lights\switch into the jb..turned the breaker on lights look well..

Mrs turns on the dining room light my downlights in the living room go out ha ha

Opened up the jb and found what I thought was. Mains cable was in fact the dining room switch wire that shows 240 when the switch is off and 0 volts when the light is on..

Hmmmm going to take a look at the connections above the dining room light when back in from work..

Sponsored Links
You will probably find your downlights are also dimmer than they would be, and that when they are on, the dining room light glows dimly...

Sponsored Links
You will probably find your downlights are also dimmer than they would be, and that when they are on, the dining room light glows dimly...

The lamps are cool white 4watt leds so didn't notice anything dim about them..no mate there was no issue with the dining room light.. I pretty much disconnected the switch wire straight away as I obv realised I can't use that cable..I need to see what's connected elsewhere to find the cause of the voltage readings I'm getting when the dining room light is off

There's nothing wrong with the readings you got!

There is no neutral in your switch, just alive and sw live.

240v live to sw live when off (as lamp in place)
0v live to sw live when on, as both sides are at 240v, so 0v between them.

There's nothing wrong with the readings you got!

There is no neutral in your switch, just alive and sw live.

240v live to sw live when off (as lamp in place)
0v live to sw live when on, as both sides are at 240v, so 0v between them.

Of coiurse there isn't..

I was thinking of the neutral but yep I got it..

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back