best solution for downlighters

Sponsored Links
We've had an 80 watt flourescent strip light for 30 years. It's magnificent in the kitchen, and it's 'greeeen'.
I'd never want anything else- except a small under cub light maybe.
Think of the planet chaps- we've got the whole world on that- why are you so different- - On another planet? :)
Other rooms- Uplights are fine.
I find low energy bulbs fade in about 5 minutes after switch on.

Sorry to be negative about the CFLS, I almost lost a job because of them. I recommended a customer to use them in a normal room, the lights came on after a long time something that instantly caused a problem but not only that, the light was very soft and not bright enough for the room. I removed them and installed them at home very bad. I am for the idea of CFLS but I will use them again only when they will be better and when the dimmable ones will be reasonably priced..

Sponsored Links
CFLs are improving in leaps & bounds. 3 minutes let alone 5 is, IMO, not applicable to the current ones. I'd say they come on at around 80% of their full output, which they reach in less than a minute. That's how they feel, subjectively.

Long term, anyway, has surely got to be a wide range of luminaires with the control gear built in, HF for efficiency, dimmable, taking basic fluoro lamps, (and I can see the need for a few new, smaller, sizes), and avoiding all this waste of electronic components each time a CFL is chucked away.

And induction lamps - I'd love to see those become common. I've got some in my kitchen, and they're very good. Not cheap, and as they age they do get slower to ramp up, but there's no way you'd ever complain about the quality of the their light.

I want to try a couple of the dimmable CFLs - in my living room I've got 4 wall lights/uplighters which take 100W GLS lamps. They're on 2 dimmers, so I was going to replace one pair with CFLs and see how they are.

And induction lamps - I'd love to see those become common. I've got some in my kitchen, and they're very good. Not cheap, and as they age they do get slower to ramp up, but there's no way you'd ever complain about the quality of the their light.
What sort of induction lamp? Do you have a photo? (I think we're talking about mercury/sodium/MH lamps here?? I never thought of using these in a residential setting . . )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back