Strangled extractor fan vent . . . . . (photo included)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We moved in to our new build home just over two and a half years ago. We needed an outside tap in the back garden so had a local plumber fit one for us (a nightmare as the feed was from a bathroom in the middle of the house). Anyway . . . . our plumber has done a great job but as he fed the pipe under the rear bedroom floor he came across this . . . .

. . . its the vent pipe from the extractor fan from the downstairs loo, it exits at the back wall of the floor of the same rear bedroom but look . . . just before it vents it turns 90 degrees to the left almost strangling any opportunity for the air to vent??? This can't be good can it??

Any views ? View media item 19378

Sponsored Links
We moved in to our new build home just over two and a half years ago. We needed an outside tap in the back garden so had a local plumber fit one for us (a nightmare as the feed was from a bathroom in the middle of the house). Anyway . . . . our plumber has done a great job but as he fed the pipe under the rear bedroom floor he came across this . . . .

. . . its the vent pipe from the extractor fan from the downstairs loo, it exits at the back wall of the floor of the same rear bedroom but look . . . just before it vents it turns 90 degrees to the left almost strangling any opportunity for the air to vent??? This can't be good can it??

Any views ? View media item 19378

Can't see the 90 degrees!

It's difficult to accurately see what is happening, but obviously you have some constriction.
What is that chipboard with 4 holes in doing ?

Sponsored Links
Thats a manufactured joist, with a huge hole cut in it for the duct.....not recommended really - although its probably stronger than the traditional joist.
John :)

The joist appears to be cut right thru, the upper and lower timbers are all thats keeping the floor up, the least of your worries are the state of the vent.

I see what you're all saying about the potential weakness of the joist.

Is it serious?? We're in the house three years now and builders are long gone, were a pain to deal with when we were dealing with the snags we could see let alone those hidden under the floor.

I see what you're all saying about the potential weakness of the joist.

Is it serious?? We're in the house three years now and builders are long gone, were a pain to deal with when we were dealing with the snags we could see let alone those hidden under the floor.

Any large hole should be centred between upper and lower timber and not exceed specific size for beam, no large hole [over 20mm] should be closer to the next hole by less than the depth of the beam i.e a beam 300mm deep should not have large holes closer than 300mm from each other, your beam seems to breach those guidelines.
As mentioned above, worth contacting NHBC.Though would'nt hold my breath. ;)

Given that the builder is long gone,what would be the point of contacting the NHBC?

I'd have thought that getting it repaired might be the best action to take?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back