Streak on wall - how to cover?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I’m doing up my living room at the moment. Sanded down ok and I have applied the first coat of Valspar emulsion. It’s a fairly light colour (milk and honey) but after the first coat and a few extra coats over this patch, there is a light streak approx 5cm wide all the way down to the floor. I can’t seem to cover it and unfortunately it’s right in the middle of the room. I didn’t notice this before painting because the wall was a very dingey dirty white so nothing really showed.

I’m assuming it must be something to do with the finish underneath? It all feels ok after sanding though. I’m not a professional so not sure how to fix this. Please see photo - any suggestions? Thanks

Attachments

• 09624101-7A5C-4726-819C-F21F2C24055A.jpeg
    09624101-7A5C-4726-819C-F21F2C24055A.jpeg
    143.6 KB · Views: 146
  • 59310570-A606-423E-B5A1-9996AFFB377B.jpeg
    59310570-A606-423E-B5A1-9996AFFB377B.jpeg
    261.9 KB · Views: 136
Sponsored Links
Yes it is.

tried painting a very dark purple over it a few times, then white and then the new wall colour again, and it’s still showing through. Can’t be certain that the wall is completely flat but can see the streak face on, not just from a side as if the light was reflecting for example

I think it is a join in the plasterboard.

Some plasterboard has a tapered edge, about two inches wide, which get filled with a jointing 'filler', which then gets sanded down.

This could what you're trying to paint over.

Sponsored Links
I see - ok thanks. Is there a way to cover this up at all?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back