Stregthen notched joist

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a bit of a problem with a notched joist in my bathroom.

Whoever installed the previous bathroom kindly cut a nice chunk out of the joist. The joist is 6" x 1.5" and the notch cut out is 3" deep by 3.5" wide which was cut to install bath trap.

I am about to install a jacuzzi bath which is double ended to accomodate two people so the wate will be greather than was previously there.

my question is as follows:

Is there a way to support the joist without sistering another joist to it. Dont want to go down this route if poss as means taking up new carpet on landing to get distance required to support each side.

I was thinking maybe steel plates either sie of the joist maybe sufficient?

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
need to know the joist spacings and spans to give a propper answer !!!

also assuming the full height will be avalable as you will reposition the trap!!

Full height will be available i will make sure of that as i actually fit bathrooms.

Joists 400mm centres. I beleive the joist is about 4m long

if its a 4m unsuported span then 6x 1.5" isnt enough support
never mind repairing your dammaged one :cry: :cry:

Sponsored Links
Maybe adding new timbers on to the sides of all the other joists that will be taking this load, and using deeper members that raise the floor by an inch or so, in order to make sure that the notched joist is sitting lower and is therefore not under any stress from the bath.

Will mean taking a fair amount of the floor up to get to the joists and their ends, but shouldn't take more than a couple of days. I believe there's a few public holidays coming up in the next few days, can't think what for though. Elvis' birthday or something like that? ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back