strenghen groove of floorboard ? - no tounge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm replacing damaged floorboards with, reclaimed floorboards, (originally tounge + grove) - the TOUNGE IS NOW CUT OFF.

Any suggestions for strengthening the groove space (about third of the depth of floorboard) : 7mm x 7mm

Do I need too - that is the point !?

Sponsored Links
The T&G allows the boards to share loads, the loss in strenght from the groove itself isnt the issue as it will be insignificant, rather that the boards will not be able to span as long a distance as they would if T&G.

How thick are the boards and are they softwood, as this will determine how far they can span.

they are 21mm thick and are reclaimed 1930s pitch pine.

The tongue side has been planed down to get the required width

the groove is in the middle.

I was concerned a weight ( eg stiletto heel) could put sufficient force on the groove section , as to collapse it ?

the average length of the floorboards are 5ft....

mmmmm................
the more I think about this, i'll just glue appropriate sized stripwood into the grooves .....it cant be that simple a solution can it..
.......LOL

Sponsored Links
they are 21mm thick and are reclaimed 1930s pitch pine.

The tongue side has been planed down to get the required width

the groove is in the middle.

I was concerned a weight ( eg stiletto heel) could put sufficient force on the groove section , as to collapse it ?

the average length of the floorboards are 5ft....

possibly, I would consider it unlikely.

Practically the best thing would be to machine it off, you could fill with resin or glue in some timber slivers, heck of a lot of hassle.

You can't use wood filler, as that won't provide proper bonding and re-inforcement (well, it would do something but filler is not meant to be structural), resin would be a hassle and cost.

another option is router a groove and fit 6mm[6.3mm] ply strips glued into one side only

mmmmm................
the more I think about this, i'll just glue appropriate sized stripwood into the grooves .....it cant be that simple a solution can it..
.......LOL
Yes. If you can find the appropriate size stripwood.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back