laying old pine floorboards on concrete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I've read many posts but couldnt find an exact match to my situation.

I have an old victorian house, at some point floorboards and joists were removed downstairs and concrete poured in place. DPM is present, concrete is stable and dry and pretty much level.

I have just got hold of some lovely old pine floorboards from a house of the same age (1890s). 6 7/8" wide and 7/8" thick pre tounge and groove. They are all straight and true and I'll only have to cut a few to make it all fit. I have sanded one short bit already with my belt sander and it comes up great.

Spoken to so many fitters and they all say different things.

One thing a few have recommended is to fix a plywood base to the concrete then fix the boards to this using screws.

Do I need to bother with the plywood first? What will this achieve?

Could I attach the boards straight to the concrete?

Any ideas on what to use to fix the boards down? I dont really want to use shiny new screws in the old boards which would have originally be nailed.

Your suggestions greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

mickthetree

Sponsored Links
If your board are straight and level (not bowed, cupped etc) you could use flexible adhesive to glue them down to the concrete (if the concrete is level and sound)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back