strengthening breeze wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi forum,

I chased 2 inches into 3 inch breeze partition wall in order to squeeze a bathtub into it (edge of bath going in there). But i probably didnt think about maximum BS regs for cutting into walls and I heard there are some.

Whats the best material to use to press into all the gaps around the cut - its a fibreglass tub... Ideas so far are...

1. 3:1 sharp sand cement [not keen as it will probably crack after a few years)
2. Wall tile adhesive (i like that, sets strong and is waterproof)
3. grouting cement mixed with polymer flex liquid as in 2 part tile adhesive
4. No more nails (solvent free)

could go on all day but the 3. idea confuses me as I dont understand how cement could set and remain flexible.

Sponsored Links
You could squeeze solid titanium into the gap, but it still does not stop the load from the wall resting on the bath.

You would be better off inserting a lintel.

Fair enough, but it's not a supporting wall, and the tub is fixed into a solid 2x4 mitred frame reinforced with triangle noggins and screwed into the joists below.

i know for sure that a sumo wrestler falling hard against the wall on the other side of it will cause serious damage if left as it is, but I overengineered the bath frame to help with the wall.
As a last resort I'm thinking of taking the plaster off the other side off the wall, and replastering with embedded steel rods like in reinforced concrete, if that can be done...

Sponsored Links
If it’s only single skin block & your sure that the wall is only supporting the bricks up to the ceiling above then it should be OK as long as you keep that sumo wrestler away from it!

The wall underneath some very flaky plaster in my bathroom was in a terrible condition, cracks in some of the blocks & loose mortar; I also had to chase out for a concealed shower mixer & 22mm pipe work. After a little re-pointing, I filled the pipe work chasses with Thistle Bonding & then applied a further, 12mm thick Bonding coat over the whole wall before fixing Aqua panel & then tiles. Follow the instructions for maximum thickness in one coat or it will craze & crack.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back