Strengthening Futon Panel

C

Coniferman

I have a well known sofabed which has 6 wooden panels supporting the mattress. (48cm x 58cm x 1cm) One of the panels has split along the middle of its width. Despite being not much more than a year old the manufacturer and suppliers do not wish to help. So I am thinking about the best way to repair.

The split does not go all the way through (In fact to look at the panel you can hardly see the damage) so I am thinking about a couple of battens screwed to the underneath of the panel at 90 degrees to the spilt. Something like 1 inch square battens using countersunk screws from the top of the panel. Does this sound like it might work? Would it be necessary to secure the battens to the futon frame? Would it make sense to repeat the process to strengthen the remaining 5 panels?

Or would it be better to replace the panel with a new piece of wood. If so what would I look for. (preferably in B+Q)

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Coni - are you sure about those sizes?

erm ... yes !! Do you mean for the panel? (48cm x 58cm x 1cm) 1cm thick doesn't sound much does it - no wonder it broke?

Or do you mean the size of the "battens". I don't even know if I can get something 1 inch by 1 inch?

Do you think it would work or should I make a new panel? I have seen the following on the B+Q website which I could cut to make 2 panels. (1 spare) It won't matter that it is 2mm thicker! Would hardwood ply be suitable?

Hardwood Plywood (L)122cm x (W)60.6cm x (T)1.2cm

P.S. They are panels rather than "slats" if that was what you were thinking. It's a double bed sized/3 seater sofa. 3 panels to sit on, 3 for the back rest.

Sponsored Links
Job done using the plywood listed in the previous msg. Hopefully it will be at least as strong as the original? Still thinking about strengthening them somehow but I guess it is good that they have a bit of give in them?

Of course I could leave off the pies for a while :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back