Threaded wood fixings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Can anyone advise me please about fixings into wood.

I have a timber panel - approx 1/2" thickness - which is fixed to a wall and on which I want to mount another smaller panel of similar thickness but mounted so that it stands off of the wall panel by about 1 and 1/2 inches and can be removed and replaced at fairly regular intervals.

The smaller panel is to hide some low voltage wiring.

I have tried attaching the smaller panel using wooden blocks screwed through onto the back panel. Unfortunately, the back panel seems to be of some quite soft wood and will not accept repeated screwing/unscrewing. (Also, replacing the back panel is not a simple option)

Somewhere, I am sure that I have seen a shallow fixing which uses quite a coarse screw thread to attach to a panel but which itself also has a central machine thread into which a machine bolt can be screwed. If I can find such a fixing, I will still use wooden blocks as stand-offs and they would be through bolted.

I have made various enquiries, including on the internet, but so far without success. I would be very grateful for any information as to the existence of such a fitting and it's name.

Many thanks in anticipation of your help

Sponsored Links
http://www.modelfixings.co.uk/threaded_inserts.htm

They are available from many places, but I've used them a couple of times and are great to deal with.

An alternative is T nuts. These fit from behind and have a machined thread in the centre. They'd take more weight than the above, but you need access to the back for initial fixing.

With either I always use a bit of PU or CA glue to make them more secure.

Many thanks. The inserts were exactly what I was looking for.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back