Best method to screw onto top of cabinet?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All.

I would like to attach a flat sheet onto the top of an IKEA carcass (laminated MDF??). The carcass consists of a top and bottom with two side panels which are 18mm thick. The side panels are attached to the side edges of the top and bottom thus the width of the entire carcass equals the width of the top/bottom PLUS 36mm (18+18).

I would like to screw the flat sheet onto the top of the carcass using 6mm screws, so I have two options for the location of the screws. One would be to screw into the side panels and the other would be to screw into the top panel. I would ideally like to be able to screw into the side panels, to get as close to the edge as possible, but would this be recommended bearing in mind that the screws are 6mm and the side panels are only 18mm thick?

How can I drill perfectly straight so as to avoid the screws coming out at the sides and how do I avoid splitting the thin strip of laminate which covers the edge of the board?

Any advice would be very appreciated!

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Angle plates or modesty blocks is a third option just chose correct screws.

I would tend to screw into the top board of the carcase rather than the sides with screws that are long enough to go 12-15mm into the board.

If you want to go into the top edges of the sides then a smaller screw would be better I tend to use these which will be fine if your additional panel is no more than 20mm thick. Drill 4mm in the panel and 3mm into the edges to stop any splitting.

If you must use 6.0mm screws then drill 6mm clearance in the top panel and 4.5-5.0mm into the top edge of the board.

Jason

Thanks for the replies; computer wasn't working, hence the late response!

Sponsored Links
Hi All / Jasonb,

In a similar situation, i.e. wanting to attach something by screwing it down to the top edges of the side panels, what type and size of screw would be ideal if the item being screwed down is approx. 2mm thick and can only take a screw with a head that has a diameter of no more than 6mm?

Also, what size of pilot hole, length and diameter (same carcass material)?

I only need ten screws; are they available in small quantities? I've visited B&Q but they don't have anything by the name of 'Power Drive' or 'carcass' screws. Wilkinson do have some black screws which are called 'power drive' screws in packs of about eight (8g x 45mm), but will the quality of these suffice or would there be a world of difference between these and the ones at Screwfix?

Thanks.

Hi.

The Powerdrive screws mentioned in this thread have a head of over 7mm, whereas I need it to be 6mm or less. Sorry I didn't mention that earlier. I didn't know until I received the parts which are to be screwed on.

Could someone please suggest anything similar which I can use instead?

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back