Construction method

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, :D

I am going to make some built in wardrobes. I am going to make them out of sheet material.

I am a liitle unsure to the construction, i was under the impression that i should butt joint the top and bottom panels to the side panels with the side panels overlapping (but not portruding) the top and bottom panels, screwed through the side panels (clearance hole) into the top and bottom panels (piolt holes). Then the back panel overlapping (but not protruding) the side panels, top panel, and bottom panel, screwed through the back into the sides top and baottom panels.

Is this right? :oops:

I hope you can help :D

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all your help so far in designing my built in wardrobes , i have a few more quetions i you dont mind.

1. I am going to make the wardrobes out of veneered ply wood, is the construction method still the same

2. Should i still use 18mm for the sides, top, bottom, and shlves. Then use 6mm for the back

3. How many biscuit should i use on the corner joints, and how far should i space them apart (is it just a case of placing them between the carcass screws spacing )

4. I am going to make the wardrobes in the garage first, then assemble in the bedroom. Should i drill the pilot and clearance holes (for carcase screws), and screw the wardrobes together in the garage (then take apart) and assemble in the wardobe in the bedrroom (or just do the biscuit joints in the garage, and screw together in the bedroom).

I hope you dont mind answering my questions for me, all the advice given so far has been much appreciated.

thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back