Strengthening loft joists for storage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Quick question. I'm looking to use my loft for storage and I have some concerns over the weight. I've had a quick look and as expected they are not up to the task. Previous owner laid loft flooring panels and has compressed the insulation, so that's another problem I'd like to solve. I'm not looking to build a loft conversion, at least I have no plans to do so at the current time, but I'd like to leave the option open. My reason for asking the questions below is to ensure I understand what is involved and can speak to/bring in the right people.

Truss design
loft space - roof truss design.png

I've included the truss design above. I'm not familiar with this, it looks like a modified fink design. Anyone know what this is called? In terms of strengthening, I was originally planning of adding a single taller span running wall to wall and fastened to the bottom chord. As this is hanging, i.e not resting on the brick wall, this adds complexity and I imagine the entire bottom run including the stub post and run that rests on the brick wall will need reinforcing. Anyone have experience with one of these.

The other question is related to building control. As the intended use is storage rather than an additional living space, does this require BC sign-off? From what I can tell, I do not need to attached anything to my neighbour's (one each side) wall, as the joists run front to back. No alterations to the roof will be made.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back