Strike

• Thread starter cantaloup63
  • Start date
C

cantaloup63

Many years ago I left the more militant unions to join what is now the Association of Teachers and Lecturers, largely because strike action doesn't sit easy with me. I consciously abstained from voting in the recent ballot for industrial action, but went out in support of those who felt strongly about it more out of courtesy.

I've just received an email suggesting that I repeat the day of action on 30th November. So it looks like I'll have to resign from the ATL and look elsewhere. Given the current economic situation it seems somewhat irresponsible for public workers to fail to recognise that their pension is rather generous in comparison to those in the private sector. The one complaint I do have is that I was never made aware that my contributions were that different from anyone else's; so I paid into the fund in good faith that everything was "fair".

So, what's your view on industrial action?

Sponsored Links
30th of November is a Wednesday. That's my least busy day at uni.

Would you be willing to consider perhaps changing the day to a Monday, Tuesday or a Friday?

On a serious note, I think it's ridiculous. Pensions are very generous, especially when compared to those in the private sector. When this point is raised, the argument is often made that those in the private sector should have better pensions. In reality, this isn't possible. It'd cost too much - just like it's costing the government too much to maintain the current pension arrangements for public sector workers.

For the record, my girlfriend is a public sector worker. She - like everyone else in her department - was asked whether or not she was striking.

Everybody said no.

Your choice whether you withdraw your labour or not.
My brother in law made me chuckle about strikes. He's in the civil service, and told me that when his lot went out on strike, his boss actually did the state a favour - seeing as he didn't do a stroke most of the time anyway, not being paid to do nothing was a better deal for the taxpayer than usual :eek:

Sponsored Links
my point is, it doesn't matter whether public is better than private, or whatever. It matters that we are all having to accept less.... Most of us blindly pay into these pensions, with promises of x,y and z.... and it's a lot of money for these 'people' to invest.... and if these investors get it wrong, they still get big bonuses, and huge salaries, yet my pension is fc*ked !!!

Yeah i know that the economy is bad etc etc ... but it's their job to understand money, and investments... and on the back of that, they must at least consider the world economic picture, and factor that in?

If i got my job that wrong, i'd get booted...

In the private sector employees generally only strike against their own employer. I believe there is still support in the general public for such action.

In the public sector, secondary strike action (through national strike balloting), in support of 'other' strikes against other employers is commonplace. I believe that strike action over the years, that has involved 'secondary' strike action, is what lead to the demise of public support for public sector strike action.

However, we are all now seeing, feeling the affects of the austerity measures. Should a teacher lose his/her pension rights due to the mismanagement of the banking sector? Have the bankers lost ANY of their pensions? We're STILL seeing million pound bonuses being paid to bankers!

Do I support teachers strike action? Based on the reason for the cuts, yes I do.

It isn't banking that's in the dock - it's our economic capitalist model built on endless growth. Capitalism is unsustainable without infinite resources - in particular, cheap oil. Cheap oil is a thing of the past, and now, so is capitalism.

Oh and the austerity we must endure forever on hasn't even begun yet.

Perhaps the simple answer is, if direct action leads to improved offers which are acceptable to the majority then non-combatants automatically in receipt might donate the (gross) extras they felt not worth fighting for - to charity.

-0-

I can understand the reasons for the strikes, in that public sector workers will not get the pensions that they were promised and probably rightly feel cheated and lied to. That said, if there isn't the money in the pot to pay them, then there really is no option.

Perhaps, they should remember that with private pensions, it doesn't matter even if you pay enormous sums into your pension pot, as it entirely depends on how your fund performs, I would imagine there are more than a few, who have paid fortunes into their pension pot, only to see it's value wiped out on the stock market.

Worrying times.

I for one will now have to work until I drop, as the state generously relieved me of pretty much all of my assets.

Oh right. BTW Are you and Dianne still an item?

Sponsored Links
Back