Strimmer spark plug removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having trouble getting my Strimmer to start so was going to check the plug. Under the rubber plug cover is a coiled spring wound tightly to the top of the spark plug. Do I remove the coil as I can't see any other way of getting the plug out?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Twist the rubber cap to and fro, pulling at the same time.....you don't want to detach the coiled bit from the HT lead!
John :)

Thanks for the reply John.
The coil connection has come away from the rubber cap.
Do I just push the end of the coil back into the cable and then into the rubber cap?

The usual method with these......the coiled bit that goes onto the plug top has a spike on the other end - this pierces the HT lead and makes contact with the inner core. The whole affair is covered by the rubber cap so its awkward to see what's going on!
Give it a try, and check for a spark.....if you get one, you've done it right!
Be lucky

Sponsored Links
If the end of the cable has split, so the hook won't stay put and the cable is (too!) short already like on my old chainsaw, put a short bit of heatshrink over the end of the cable, and "re-hook" the connector through it. Seems to work OK on mine.

I've cleaned the air filter which was caked up. Also taken the plug out and used a wire brush to clean the black residue off. Connected the coil wire to the lead just to see if it starts. Started straight away. Just need to connect the coil to the lead inside the rubber boot! Also need to tighten the tension on the trigger cable as its sticking?

Thanks!

The tension on a throttle cable is set by a return spring on the carburettor......if it's sticky then either lubricate, or see there's no tight bends.
If there's any evidence of cable fray, you need a new one.

Lubricated spring and bent the straight bit of the coiled connector that fits on top of the plug so when I pushed the cable into the rubber boot it connects!
Think that's done it.

Much appreciated John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back