Strimmer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone recommend a strimmer (or something else) to trim the edges of my lawn where the mower doesn't reach?

I have some cheap inherited rubbish ones at the moment and the issue is that the line constantly breaks and no new line comes out.

The problem I face is:
IMG_20210914_091804583.jpg

I have about 15m of fencing like this and the line just snaps on the posts. If they did feed properly (I think the spools being re-wound doesn't help) I'd just be going through the line for fun. I need to get right into the fence posts as there's normally stuff coming through from next door.

I don't want flowerbeds, my budget is up to £100, mains only, not battery or petrol.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I suggest that you try to be more careful when strimming near anything that isn’t grass. Your line will last longer and you’ll strim more if you don’t have to keep stopping to do maintenance.

Last edited:
Can anyone recommend a strimmer (or something else) to trim the edges of my lawn where the mower doesn't reach?

I have some cheap inherited rubbish ones at the moment and the issue is that the line constantly breaks and no new line comes out.

The problem I face is:
View attachment 244056

I have about 15m of fencing like this and the line just snaps on the posts. If they did feed properly (I think the spools being re-wound doesn't help) I'd just be going through the line for fun. I need to get right into the fence posts as there's normally stuff coming through from next door.

I don't want flowerbeds, my budget is up to £100, mains only, not battery or petrol.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks.

FLYMO has a list of mains strimmers worth a look

I suggest that you try to be more careful when strimming near anything that isn’t grass. Your line will last longer and you’ll strim more if you don’t have to keep stopping to do maintenance.

Is there a more careful way to strim in that corner between gravel board and post? I tend to just aim it in there till the green stuffs gone or the wire breaks.

Really I was wondering if something that takes a thicker or better quality wire (that can take a bit of banging against the corner of a fence post) might be an improvement on what i have at the moment (some Argos or B&Q junk). I don't think I need much power, just a bit of strength.

Sponsored Links
i went through 4 cheap electric strimmers, various makes i think Black & decker, B&Q, flymo etc , in the end I purchased a Stihl petrol driven strimmer with a curved pole , that has made a lot of difference , purchased about 4-5 years ago, and only just got onto a 2nd reel of cutting cord.
I only strim around brick walls , garage wall, small brick garden wall, large courtyard and cut down a free to grow area about 1mitre x 8M, which we just leave to nature and cut down end of summer.
I have not got any fences that need the strimmer as most are onto a flower bed or Hedge.
I also regularly strim the grass away around about 25 stepping stones we have in the middle of the lawn going to garage

my budget is up to £100, mains only, not battery or petrol.
I know you said you didn't want petrol or battery - but, as this strimmer has been so good , reliable and does not seem to chew up as much cord , i just thought i would mention the Stihl , when i purchased the FS40 around 2017 it was about £170 , Now £220 RPI , BUT thats a lot cheaper than the cheap electric strimmers which just seem to
a) bust eventually or
b) as in the case of 2 of the ones i had seem tangle the cord into the motor area.
I was spending ages sorting it all out , and as i saw in the end 2 blew up and 2 the cord was trapped inside the motor assembly

I notice Stihl seem to do a smaller /lighter Strimmer FS38 £185 RPI

I just thought i would give my experience

If you put a heavier line on your strimmer, then you’re loading up the other parts of the machine, I.e. engine and clutch. The difference sizes of lines are to match the size/power of the machine.
Is it really so important that you get right into the corner? There is no line that will get into such tight corners without taking a beating.

I got a £60 1kW no-name strimmer from eBay 3 years ago. It's not especially well made, but it strims like a mother****** and takes a 3mm line. Massive improvement on the POS from Argos that it replaced. It has a generic fittings so I can easily get a replacement head when it wears out. The spool of the Argos one kept falling off and I was forever bodging it back on with no obvious way to fix it permanently.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back