Strip, pad & beam, piled footing HELP!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had plans drawn up and architect has given calcs for pad & beam. mail reason is I have 4mtr conifer within 3mtr of proposed structure. Need advise on next steps, i.e. alternatives that may reduce cost. p Have decided to go with timber frame instead of traditional but have been told still need deep footings because of tree close by.
Anyone provide help or point me in the right direction to maybe a planning area or document that outlines footing requirements with trees in the equation.

Thks JB

Sponsored Links
If you have had these foundations designed by a professional, then you can either get him to confirm that they are the only cost effective option, or get the opinion of another qualified professional.

I don't think that being pointed to any documents on the internet is going to help you ... unless you know how to design foundations

Thought there maybe a resource somewhere that would show guidance depth where trees are concerned. Seems a tad extreme 3mtr deep, 1 mtr square pads with reinforced beams etc.. Maybe I will bite the bullet and get a soil test done with pricing for piles.

Thanks, JB

There is guidance, but not meaning to be blunt, you would not know how to interpret it into a suitable foundation design would you?

Your blokes design may be excessive, and include some arse-covering, so that's why you could ask him for alternatives

Sponsored Links
Thought there maybe a resource somewhere that would show guidance depth where trees are concerned. Seems a tad extreme 3mtr deep, 1 mtr square pads with reinforced beams etc.. Maybe I will bite the bullet and get a soil test done with pricing for piles.

Thanks, JB

Funnily enough the exact same foundations were recommended to me. I was proposing to make an outbuilding within 2m of many large trees, one of which must be over 50ft tall.

There are some resources out there if you want to take a look. If you google nhbc+ building near trees you'll find some tables with some recommendations.

Thanks for response, just trying to better understand distance to trees against soil types of soils, shrinkage/heave etc. Hopefully it will aid in making a decision on what type of footing I go for.

JB

Depth of footing isnt the only consideration, you need to think also about heave protection (ie claymaster etc) even with a pad and beam option the beams would need heave protection..
NHBC is a good resource for information to start thou..

But you should also consider, what type of ground you are on, are you on clay ground?
Then also think about cutting the tree down as this can sometimes reduce the depth of the footing required..

question, does anyone have any feedback on the following essex piling companies? cannon piling, hill piling and advanced mini piling.? Be nice before I start asking for quotes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back