Pad & Beam Footings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I am having a rear extension built and because of sewers in the garden the architect specifield pad & beam footings and had a structural engineer draw up the calculations. The engineer has drawn up the specs for the pads and described the beams which are 203x102x23UB RSJ's

Am I right in saying that the RSJ width is 102mm ??

If this is the case is this large enough to build the rear and side wall for the extension off of??

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
Am I right in saying that the RSJ width is 102mm ??
Yes.

If this is the case is this large enough to build the rear and side wall for the extension off of??
Well, width wise, you'll be putting 100mm blocks or simillar width bricks onto them, so no problems there...

If you are asking whether or not they'll take the load of walls, roofs, and floors, I would hope that your SE has designed them correctly, but no way of knowing without a lot more information.

Presumably there will be two beams side by side - for the inner and outer leaf of the cavity wall

Thanks for the replies.

I must apologise as I have read something wrong, the RSJ's are actually 203x102x23 UC not UB.

there is only three beams specified of the above size and the extension is specified as cavity walls. It's just baffling me a bit lol.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.

I must apologise as I have read something wrong, the RSJ's are actually 203x102x23 UC not UB.

there is only three beams specified of the above size and the extension is specified as cavity walls. It's just baffling me a bit lol.
Are you sure? 203 x 102 is a UB. 203mm UCs are also approx 203mm wide...
Maybe it's a 203 UC encased in concrete? You'd be able to sit a cavity wall on that.

That is a beam dimension, not a column - columns are normally square

I would get the engineer to clarify, as if he has only specified one beam per elevation it may well be a column

Something tells me it's a typo on the paperwork but it is worrying me, especially as the build is starting in a weeks time lol.

Gonna have to gt it clarified but what you said about it being 203x203 sounds like more sense to me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back