Stripped thread

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I have been replacing the white sockets in the front room with antique brass. All went ok until the last one. Got the white front off and there were 4 cables in the back, so it looks a bit of a tight fit. Anyhow got it all to fit and when screwing the new socket on, it appears one side has stripped as it keeps wanting to pop out again and the screw refuses to tighten. I've used a different screw but still the same. I have a re-threader tool, but although this seemed to cut into the lug, it made no difference. So I'm in a bit of a scrape.... I don't want to rip out the back box as it's a freshly decorated and plastered wall. It's the moveable lug that seems to have stripped. I have a couple more metal back boxes, is it possible to swap one over, as they only seem to be held in with a couple of lugs, or is there another way. Also is there any way to make the wiring better. 4 wires is a bit of a squeeze, and I wonder if this is a cause of the screw issues.I was thinking (may not be doable but would like advice) of using some 5 port wago connecters, and putting the 4 ring wires of each colour in them, and using the 5th as a connection to the box, and push all the wires to the back of the box. Is this an acceptable solution???

Sponsored Links
If its the moveable lug and you can find one on a spare box the same size, yes you can swap them over. Bit more tricky if its a fixed lug, sometimes depending on how much material around the hole, you can get grips on the sides of it and deform it to an oval and then run thr re-threaderthrough. At a real push you can open it up to a clearance hole, then drill a 3mm hole in the back of the box, run the re-threader through and use a long plate screw.

As to the the cables, 4 is unusual, but is generally do-able with care, how deep is the box? 25mm? I suspect they probably just need re-dressing a bit so it goes back without forcing

Thanks. It is the moveable lug .. I'll give the swap a go.
How do you mean redressing the wires?? I think it's a 25mm box it does look a bit shallow

Sponsored Links
Not just cutting to length, cores that are too short are a pain too.

Its just a general term meaning to bend and form neatly, yes not having excessive amounts is part of it. but just bringing them in and around in such a way that they lie flat against the back of the socket, rather than bunching up is a more important, get rid of any excessive sheathing in the box as well.

Basically put them in neatly, not looking like its been second fixed by a racoon on meth

Thanks for the replies. I'll sort the lug hopefully by replacing. Why does this always happen after decorating, rather than showing up before when it's easy to sort.

Since you have a re-threader tool, you could just apply a "blob" of Epoxy Resin Putty at the rear of the lug and cut a long thread in that - after it has set.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back