Stripping a facia board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of repainting my facia on the house.

I have been up in the last few months to strip it down using a decorators wall paper stripper so have taken all the bubbled paint. I have sanded and cleaned and repainted the exposed wood with undercoat.

I was going to try painting everything this week, but i have been back up and really i do have a lot more paint which i can see is not attached to the facia that well. It is old paint.

So my question is, do i fully strip down this facia and repaint from new wood. It is 100 y/o.

I don't want to do this work and then in 2 years time have to redo it. I last did some work on this facia about 5 years ago, but this time a lot more has bubbled off.

Would you use nitromo's to get the old paint off ?

I think my issue has been i have worked from a ladder and so not ideal to really get into the damaged paint.

I am thinking now to hire a cherry picker or a scaffold tower to do this job properly and so really i want to do the best job possible.

Advise appreciated

Sponsored Links
Definitely hire some form of access ! I've done a few with my old dad and it's buttock clenching off a ladder- worse for bargeboards . Forget any liquid paint stripper, it's lost all it's power due to EU regs. Paint bare wood with Primer(y) Then undercoat. ( unless you're using some modern stuff )

Done the ladder twice now, stripping first time, then cleaning. A real job especially at 8m at the apex.

Was hoping to paint today, but i can see a lot more flakes etc.

So this time i am getting a tower in. And doing it all again !

Anyone recommend a good stripping knife. I need to really go over this paint properly.

Also could i use my gas burner for soldering as a stripper ?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Don't use a flame as there may be tinder dry bits that could catch alight. Better with a heat lamp which is safer. Use a decent shavehook and scraper.

I've been in this exact situation, 130 y/o house, previous occupants bothched paint overs etc.....tried all the poltice alkali systems and can only say avoid them, makes a bloody mess, residue left behind....just a waste of time and money in my experience. I really did not want to use a hot air gun due to the fire risk with old birds nests etc in the soffits hence why I really tried the poltice system. But there is just no substitute for a hot air gun, decent shave hook, a boss tower for access, and once removed just a good smooth off with some 120 grit sandpaper is how I'd do it if tackling the job now. As for paints I'd go Zinsser BIN on any knots first, then Zinsser 123 all over, then for my top coat 2 coats of Zinsser Allcoat in your chosen colour and gloss level (Zinsser permawhite exterior if going white would be for me preferred over the Allcoat, but if you want a specific RAL or BS colour Allcoat is fully tintable), all this applied with a decent synthetic brush purdy for example. I wish I had known this before I started as I say the poltice stuff just made a mess and you have to sod about neutralising etc and it also made my wood grain open up and go fibrous. Hope this reaches you in time........

Nearly forgot, invest in a decent P3 fitted face mask for the lead paint risk etc...

Done it !!

Scaffold tower of 8m up on friday morning and finished on friday about 7pm. Then working saturday for the first coat and sunday for the second. All scaffold is down now and i had good weather to do it all.

Didn't use a mask, maybe i should have done.

The deco hook was the best investment as loads more paint came off.

Used an acrylic undercoat from leyland i had left over in the garage. Used a standard exterior magnolia and just had enough to do the job.

Main issue was taking down half the scaffolding 4 times so i could move the tower from left to right. Had my telephone wire in the way so had to take off the top half in order to move the tower past the wire. Did this about 4 times, but got quicker doing it. Been a tough weekend, but job looks good.

Under the magnolia paint i did have a brown type of paint / plastic type filler. Not sure what this was, but it has been applied in the past.

Will see how long my paint lasts for. Anyone know what a typical time is before you get cracking again and flaking ?

Attachments

• IMG_0211.jpg
    IMG_0211.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 90
It depends on the sun striking that end of the building. Do you get much in Yorkshire ?;) Should be good for 5 years at least.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back