Best Product For Painting Facia Board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have sanded and degreased the facia.

I plan to use Zinsser Cover stain as it is an oil based primer

However I am unsure what to use as the top coat (white)

Can I get away without using an undercoat? and can I use a water based paint such as Bedec Multi Surface Paint?

Or do people normally go for an oil based top coat? if so, what would be suitable?

Sponsored Links
I tend to stick with Dulux Trade Weathershield for exterior woodwork (oil based). A couple of coats of the UC over primed wood, followed by one or two coats of the gloss.

That said, facia boards and sofits don't tend to get particularly wet (unlike bargeboards and windows).

Personally I am not a fan of waterbased exterior paint finishes but I know a few fellow decorators that use them. The Bedec, like most WB paints cannot be applied if the temperature is gong to drop below 8 degrees C within (6 to 8? hours of application). OB paints are more forgiving at lower temperatures and you can add oxidising agents such as Terebene to speed curing time.

Thanks for the advice and comment @opps

The only thing that concerns me about an oil based top coat is the colour potentially yellowing

Is this still a concern or have oil paint 2019 improved in this department?

2010 was the year that manufacturers were forced to reduce the solvent levels in oil based paints. As you are aware, many paints yellowed very, very quickly- they have improved massively since then.

It should be noted that it is the lack of UV light that causes OB paints to yellow. The inside of a cupboard will yellow much faster than the outside of the cupboard when painted with OB. That has always been the case. Exterior oil based paints however get x amounts of UV light per day and therefore do not yellow.

Sponsored Links
If you want non-yellowing waterbased white gloss, try Sadolin Superdec white opaque gloss. Also available in satin.

No separate primer or undercoat required. Three coats on bare wood will cover well. Resists flaking. Very quick drying. Easy to work with. Designed for outside.

Essential that old glosswork is sanded all over before use.

(That said, oil-based white gloss doesn't tend to yellow outside...)

Thanks for the water based alternative

Just curious what is a decent oil based undercoat to compliment dulux weathershield gloss?

Dulux Trade oilbased Weathershield undercoat.

The UC is shinier than regular undercoat which is a bonus when working out doors as it is easier to keep clean before the gloss is applied.

BTW Mr Sparkle, Dulux Trade is better quality than the retail stuff known as Dulux.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back