stripping down door frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm re-decorating the living room and am replacing the skirting with skirting that has knots in, which my wife like the look of and wants to just varnish them rather than painting them white.......but the internal door frame is also white...........so i have to strip it bare.

I'll get my sander out to sand it down , but will it get all the 30 years worth of paint off the frame ?
Someone said use a heat gun to get it off ?

Once down to bare wood, we want to varnish it too, so it will go with the skirting more than a plain white frame.

Any comments or problems anyone see ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
hi gas01,

You would need to burn off the existing paint then go over it with a sander to get rid of any digs that you made with the scraper. This will also get rid of any paint residue. This can be one finicky job. If it was me, and you are going to redec the room anyway, I would buy a new wood architrave. This would leave the door lining and edge of the door stop to do. This would be easier than the architrave as its all flat. Do it the above way or get a product called "Peel Away" from a dedicated decorating centre. Follow the instructions on the tin to the letter and you will be fine.

Hope that helps

As above, I would replace the wood it will be just as cheap and quicker

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back