Stripping paint off internal wood

Lak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whats the best thing to use to get white paint off internal doors, skirting boards & door frames. I am thinking off varnishing them after.

Sandpaper will take ages...........its a toss between chemical liquids or blow torches.

Any recommendations

Thanks, :D

Sponsored Links
Both, a hot air gun (not a blow torch) will remove most of the paint - be carefull not to burn the wood. You'll have to get a chemical strpper which will then get rid of the residue and any left over bits. Its a horrid job and to look good will need a lot of hours and elbow grease.

Don't bother with the doors - get them dipped. Much cleaner and easier and at around 20-40 per door is well worth it.

How old is the woodwork you want to get the paint off?

Might be worth considering fitting new skirting/architrave. Obviously if you have very nice mouldings or antique ones then this isn't an option but if it is anything like mine then the same style skirting can be rather cheap and will save a lot of effort.

Sponsored Links
Oilman, Whelzer,
Thanks for the replies.

Age of woodworkWe have been living there for over 9 years & the house was built in 1930's so can't really say how old it is.

New skirting
Have comtemplated the idea of new skirting & door frames, but would this not ruin the wallpaper which is nicely decorated?

Lak said:
Have comtemplated the idea of new skirting & door frames, but would this not ruin the wallpaper which is nicely decorated?
Unless you have the next size up (slightly wider) and use a sharp knife to cut the edge of the wallpaper before removing skirting boards

There is a product out called nitomors. It is a water based paint stripper.
Paint it on making sure to have a damp sponge to mop up any spills. The paint will bubble making it easy to scrape off. A light sanding to give the woodstain a good key and a couple of coats of varnish will make it look good for another decade or so. The woodstain will cover any bits of old paint that you miss.

I did all that two years ago. I ended up getting new skirtung and archirtave. I tried a blow gun, I dodn't have the patientce, and in the groves of the skirting/architrave, was a nightmare. The Nitromors! well I just got high and a hell of a headache...............

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back