Stripping old stain off & adding new stain to wood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

We are planning to re-stain some of the the wood work in our home - namely the stairs, banister/hand rail, and all the windows. As the photos show, the wood is all a mid-brown shade and very orangey. We want to change it all - but we are not sure to what exactly yet. Some of it we will probably go for an oak/antique pine type finish. For others (most probably the stairs and banister) we want to go with a very dark brown.

So I wondered if anyone can advise or link me to good guides on how best to go about this..... Starting with how to get rid of the current finish, right through to what to use for the new finishes.

Would also be really helpful if anyone could advise us what the best type of tools to use would be (i.e. sanders, etc.)

Thanks a million

Max

Sponsored Links
Mmm, not sure you can actually strip stain. I don't do much staining but usually find that a dark stain goes over a light stain ok but obviously not the other way round. I've got a feeling that there are some preparatory strippers but i think they are more aimed at varnish. You could bleach the wood which will give you a very light colour to act as a base to start again. Sanding too may not be possible because the timber draws in the stain.

The best thing to do is experiment on off cuts, so apply some of the original stain (if you know, or at least match up as best you can) and then try the new and see what it does to the colour and like wise with the bleaching.

Some one else may have an idea but thats all i can think of. Good luck.

Oh and have to say sikkens wood stains are really good

have a visit to your local dec center and you'll probably get a tinted laquer to get what you want. Only if your going darker though as another coat deepens the colour. I was always told i could dye a white shirt black , but a black shirt white aint gonna happen ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back