Stripping the wall paper from hell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have started stripping some wall paper, its normal bog standard backing paper and it came of ok-ish. Then iv discovered what i thought was the bare wall is in fact backing paper from many years gone thats been painted with emulsion! this has created a skin on the backing paper thats almost like cling film. Iv scoured the paper and soaked it, used a steamer etc but its still a nightmare. iv got to peel ech inch away by picking with my fingers then i can access the paper beneath a remove as normal.

its already took up more time than entire rooms alltogether, is there any tips on what to do here? if its pv'ad could i skim over it at all?

i would be quciker to knock the wall down and rebuild at the speeds it taking!!! aaaaaaaaaaah

Sponsored Links
Hi
You have to be patient, use soapy hot water, wet at least a 3m length of wall 6 times before you touch it use a flat brush and scrub the water in. You will need a decent scraper, either a sprung steel hand scraper 1.5" or blade on a stick type to get more pressure. Wet Wet Wet is the only way, try it, I did this for 15 years.:cool:

Sponsored Links
i was using one of those tools, the stanley version but it wasnt having much success.

no matter how much soaking i was doing this wasnt helping once i got to the layer of emulsion.

we where talking about taking hammers to the wall and taking it back to the brick as it was taking so long then one of the plasterers hit the jackpot.

the trick was to take the top layer of normal wallpaper off and leave the emulsion surface underneath undamaged. then work a meter squared area of the emulsion painted paper with the steamer, NOT touching it at all with the stripping knife and being careful not to damage the layer by over heating.. then remove the steamer and give the then sticky and stretchy emulsion about 90 seconds to cool... as it cooled it hardened JUST enuff to peel back! once peeled back the paper underneath could be removed as normal. If you tried to peel befire 90 seconds was up the emulsion just came away like wet paper in finger tip sizes and if u waited longer than 90 seconds it dried out and just cracked!

crazy!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back