Stripping painted lining paper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I have just moved into a house where the walls are painted over lining paper. I have taken wallpaper off many times using a steamer, scorer and strip solution (warm water and fabric conditioner) which has worked quite well.

But dealing with painted lining is a completely different level, its a nightmare to take off.

I have scored the paper, soaked with strip solution and even then with a steamer its a pain to remove. I have only done 1/4 of a room today, with standard paper the whole room would of been done today.

The other issue was if I was using to much steam, the plaster was coming off.

Please has anyone got any tips or tricks to make this easier?

I have seen an old thread here where someone mentioned sanding the paper first? https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/arrrrgghhh-painted-lining-paper.15627/

Sponsored Links
A spiked roller and a good soaking?

5CCA1999-176A-40F6-B8BB-812E1348E904.jpeg

Sponsored Links
If I am confident that the paper was applied by a competent person, I leave it as is and sand through it accordingly, prior to lining over it. If you have access to a decent random orbital sander and dust extractor you can sand through vinyl coated papers and then hit the backing papers without needing to strip the whole lot off.

I work in 120 year old houses, I could use a steam stripper but I know that I risk the blowing 2" plaster. I prefer to work on the assumption that the old paper is helping to hold up the wall and accordingly only disturb the bits that are rough.

EDIT-----------it sounds like you are dealing with walls that have been painted with something like silk. You can not sand that stuff back. Rather than the spiked roller recommended by Motie, I would probably recommend a paper tiger.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/zinsser-paper-tiger-scoring-tool-3mm/3469h

The teeth will be less aggressive and less inclined to damage the exiting plaster

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back