stripping walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My wife and I have recently purchased our first house. My wife is pregnant with our first child so the pressure is on for me to get the nursery ready.

I have started to strip the walls as I want them skimmed for a nice finish. The house was built mid 60,s. I have stripped the wallpaper back to a painted surface. The paint is on a lining paper that has been pasted to the plasterboard without being primed.

When I scrape away the paint to reveal the lining paper I can remove the paper easy using warm water and a scraper. The problem is getting the paint off the lining paper in the first place. I tried scoring the paint and paper with a stanley knife and soaking the walls but the water does not seem to be getting through the paint to soak the paper enough for it the scrape away.

At the minute I am scraping the paint off the lining paper then soaking the paper to get back to plasterboard. It is a sole destroying job and taking forever. Does anyone have any advice that might get the job done quicker?

I know taking the board down for new would be easiest but we are on a very tight budget.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
try a zinsser paper tiger :idea: even for sale on eBay ;)

Maybe a couple of coats of pva, then skim on top of what you have without trying to strip it back?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back