lining paper over cracked paint?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, hope you guys can give me some advice regarding lining paper before I make things even worse! :rolleyes:

I have stripped all the wallpaper off in my living room with a wallpaper stripper/steamer, and it came off in 2 layers... the pattern part of the wallpaper, and some sort of lining paper. I steamed and scraped them both off back to the wall. I know that it was only one paper that went up, and not separate lining paper.

I have also taken the dado rails down, and filled and sanded all the holes in the wall smooth. Some areas of the walls have chipped paint, and I have put up afew drops of wallpaper over them to see how it shows through, and it does show through slightly. Should I lining paper the whole room first? As this new wallpaper doesn’t seem as thick, and the old wallpaper which seemed to have its own lining/backing did cover everything perfectly... I have got a roll of 1000grade from B&Q.

I would chip off all the paint on the one wall, but its really hard to scrape off!

Any advice would be great..

Thanks!
Adam

Photos below...

Sponsored Links
yeah mate line that wall, you shouldn't need to line the whole room if thats the only wall that is bad. line it horizontally and leave a slight gap between sheets (2-3mm). when you paper over the top of this you wont see the gap but you will see a bump if you've butted them too close. roll a thin mix of paste over the bare bit, it will allow the lining paper to slide a bit rather than stick to the absorbent plaster - make it easier to work with. it wouldn't hurt to spend half an hour sanding round the edge of the paint to try to feather the edge off but the lining paper should cover it anyway.

Hello mate, thanks for the reply.

I will spend time sanding down the edges of the paint before lining the wall. Do you think 1000grade lining paper will do the job?

Cheers! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back