Structural beam/ Knock Through

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having a ground floor rear kitchen extension and will knock through what was the original outside wall into the extension to create one big room.

There will be a structural beam where the old wall was, however, this beam will be resting on parts of the original wall which will be sticking out of the sides (only the middle part of the original wall will be knocked through and the two side bits will be left for the beam to rest on).

I would like to have a smooth continous walls without these sticking out bits but my builder has told me this is not possible. is this true and are there any ways to get round this problem.

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
if the structural engineer has specified "nibs" for the steel beam to sit on then this has to be the case.

even b.c. don't argue with s.e.'s.

In most typical domestic extensions, it is possible for the beam to rest on a 100mm bearing.

Its usually the padstone which is the govening factor, but a steel bearing plate could be used instead.

Get the calcs re-done if it is important for you to have a flush wall.

Nibs are usually left for the convenience of either the builder or the engineer (lazy calculating)

Sponsored Links
^woody^ said:
In most typical domestic extensions, it is possible for the beam to rest on a 100mm bearing.

Its usually the padstone which is the govening factor, but a steel bearing plate could be used instead.

Get the calcs re-done if it is important for you to have a flush wall.

Nibs are usually left for the convenience of either the builder or the engineer (lazy calculating)

That is alright ,if you live in a detatched house.Ido not think neibours would be to happy with a RSJ pocking through into their kitchen :LOL:

I have not come across a semi or terrace with only a 4 1/2" party wall.

Most tend to have a cavity or 9" wall which will provide a bearing for the beam on the one half of the wall

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back