Structural Engineer, Report, or Calculation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all,

I need to get some form of structural survey done but need clarification on what im asking for before I ring round local companies.

So to understand where I'm at, I would like advice on a couple of walls and a chimney stack. One of the walls is actually like an archway (large), and only supports a stud wall above it and runs parallel to the existing joists upstairs, so I assume this can be removed as it's not load bearing (correct me if I'm wrong). The second wall runs perpendicular to the joists, and supports a solid wall above it, and has a chimney stack integrated into it (both of which I want to remove)

I have been into the loft and it seems that the stack and the wall are separate, which suggests that the stack doesn't support the roof (as you can clearly see that is done by the wall).

Obviously I am not even close to being a structural engineer so need advice before I will be doing anything. My main question is that when I have been looking at various local websites, a structural report seems to be geared towards an existing crack or structural problem. Therefore I'm not sure what it is I need or should be asking for.

Hope you can help.

Cheers,

Paul

Sponsored Links
The wall perpendicuar to the joists will almost cetainly be supporting the floor and wall above; removal will therefore be a structural alteration.
This would require a beam to support the wall/floor above, and the SE does the design calculations for the beam.
So when you speak with any local SEs, you tell them that you need calculations for a beam - this is nothing to do with a structural report.

Don't forget that this would need a Building Regulations application - the council will check your SEs figures, and inspect the beam to ensure it has been installed correctly, and suitably protected from fire risk.

Thanks for the response, I really appreciate it.

I knew I would have to contact the council at some point, but I assume this is done before I commence any work but after the SE has been round.

I will call a few companies and get the ball rolling. While the SE is here I will also ask them to check my presumptions with the other wall and stack.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back