Removal of two structural walls and installing RSJ's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I am in the process of buying a house and the current layout of the ground floor has the living room and kitchen running parallel to each other and open at both ends (see floorplan attached).

However, I am keen to remove two structural walls that divide both rooms to open the whole of the rear of the house up. One wall is circa 6.5m and the other is circa 4m. The shorter wall currently contains a chimney stack so the stack above will need to be supported by the beam. I appreciate a structural engineer will be needed along with building reg sign off etc and decorative work etc.

Ideally I would want the room to be one big open area without any pillars but fear the point where both walls meet (circled) will need a pillar to support them and perhaps the 6.5m reach is too great for a single beam without a support midway.

I would be very grateful if I can get some advice whether this is possible and get an idea on ball park costs.

Many thanks

George

Attachments

• Floorplan.pdf
    126.8 KB · Views: 286
Sponsored Links
I guess we'll never know unless you show a plan view of the first floor layout.

Anything is possible. However, the beam across the (presumably original rear of the property) maybe quite deep and is more than likely will need to be a "goalpost" frame, to provide lateral stability across the width of the building. As "noseall" says, floor joist spans of the first floor and walls above are ideally needed (job for the weekend). Picking up the chimney breast from first floor and above will need some good needling, strongboys, temporary works.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back