Structural Engineer...survey and beam calc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I wondered if someone is able to help me.

We have a wall in our lounge which was knoced down by the previous owners. However they didn't do it fully and opening has 2 foot walls on each side of the opening meaning it still devides the space in 2.

We would like to look at getting this opened out fully, we know its possible as our neighbour has done it (attached). In order to do so I need a structural engineer to visit, survey, draw and do the calcs. I have contacted a couple of places and we are near £1000 before we even move a brick. Our builder is willing to do the work and knows what is needed but the calcs are still needed to gain building control permission. We will be selling in a couple of years so this is needed.

Does anyone know a 1 man band type outfit in or near Reading (or another alternative) that may be able to help me. A collegue has had something similar done (but doesn't live near me) and he had someone charge him £150 for the site visit and £100 for the calcs and drawings...that sounds perfect to me!

Thanks in advance...

Sponsored Links
Ring round all of your local(ish) SE's, you will find someone sensible. Or maybe ring some local Architectural Technicians and ask if they can recommend anyone.

Thanks,

After ringing arround a large number and getting equally huge quotes I finally stumbled upon someone who was semi-retired structural engineer who asked me a sensible set of questions and then informed me that he would be able to do it from existing drawings and photo's for about £150.

Perfect! A few things to do to get the information ready for him and we can move forward.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back