Structural calculations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help, I'm taking out a supporting wall to form an opening of 4500 I know how to do it, but its the calcs's that I can't do. The engineer said I would need to put goal posts in if I wanted to achieve a wider opening, how much of a bearer will I need at each end of the rsj if I was to go down that route.
Calc's for goal posts £700 and calc's for the brick piers £200, as you can see to use the steel method would be a lot more expensive just to gain a little less knib at each end. I also want to lift the rsj up into the ceiling and it will not carry any joists.
Will I need to underpin the piers at each end.

extention001.jpg

extention.jpg

Thanks

Craig
[/img]

Sponsored Links
Not totally sure what you're asking tbh. You will need to stick a new foundation under each post if you go the goal post route. Only your engineer can tell exactly how big, probably 450X450X200 or something. You'll need enough room to fit the posts in so you'll still have a nib.

Bit like this

Only your SE or equally qualified person can do your calcs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back