Structural Engineer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Finally had planning approval and have submitted drawings to building control.

My architect has obtained a quotation from a structural engineer in respect of a circa 2.6 meter steel beam which will be needed when my existing patio doors and a section of wall are removed.

See section of drawing attached.

The SE's quote is £700 plus VAT. Does this seem reasonable for producing RSJ structural calculations for building control?

Attachments

• RSJ.pdf
    975.5 KB · Views: 199
Sponsored Links
I have a very faint suspicion that your architect truly believes that you were born yesterday.

Its a quote for the roof structure too presumably, not just the new opening? and maybe lintel specs too? You need to clarify exactly what the quote is for.

Though even with all that it's prolly still a bit pricey.

I would grab that SE's hand at that price.

Grab it, twist it around his back, and then boot him up the arse. And probably your architect too.

If your architect put a standard lintel in, you won't needs any calcs.

You should expect to pay no more than £150 for that beam calculation. But at such a small span, a 178x102 beam will do it. Your council may not even require calcs in any case. Check that first before agreeing anything.

Sponsored Links
If it's for the single beam, it's far, far too much.
But has he priced for the roof structure as well?

At 700 pounds that would make it nearly 2 days work! Ask how long he expects to spend on it, if it needs a few site visits?

Thanks to all who replied.
I have double checked and the quote is for the beam and the steel elements of the roof structure.
It also states " We are anticipating good ground conditions suitable for mass concrete spread foundations but have still recommended trial holes to confirm the exact ground conditions and the depths of the existing properties foundations"
I have recently had a sewage inspection chamber relocated to accommodate the extension, accordingly I know that we have a solid chalk substrata, so are trial holes necessary?
There seem to be several online companies offering claculations suitable for building control eg http://www.steel-beam-calculations.co.uk/ Is this worth considering?

That span is nothing, and the existing foundations will take the load from that beam no problem.

I would find out what building control require for your property, not a general comment or the SE's backside covering waffle. Tell building control the beam or lintel proposal, and I would have thought that any modern BCO would just approve it there and then.

For the knock through would a: Catnic Extra Heavy Duty Lintel 2550mm Cx90/100 be suitable?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back