Planning Application for building ext. without Architect

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have never submitted a planning application for building extension before, but have AutoCAD drawings drawn up by an AutoCAD technician and can get structural calculations carried out by qualified structural engineer.
Can anyone tell me if it's possible to submit a planning application without going through a proper Architect?
Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Yes of course it is; I did all my own CAD drawings, calculations, planning & BC submissions & even had to represent myself at the planning committee due to objections but I got approval. Most Council websites have an explanatory guide of what you need to do & how to do it or pop in & see them personally.

Did mine.

All hand drawn as well on A3 !!

Not quite as pretty as a cadded or architects effort but it saved me a load of cash.

Ditto colin_p above.

The drawings don't have to be particularly pretty as long as they cover the aspects that Planning require, and are to scale.

Sponsored Links
My local council web site has recent planning applications listed and even has downloads for the submitted drawings!

cut and paste - job done ;)

:)

peca27 said:
what about the building regs application? ;)

There are two options;

1, Full plans approval whereby the design is scrutinised and approved before work starts (NOT what you want)

or

2, Building Notice, whereby you simply tell building control what your doing, pay the fee, they come down at key stages and you simply have a chat and make things up (jointly) as you go along. (this IS what you want)

Colin_p said:
Building Notice, whereby you simply tell building control what your doing, pay the fee, they come down at key stages and you simply have a chat and make things up (jointly) as you go along. (this IS what you want)

This is the best method for a simple extension.

If you can get the plans drawn then do it, we've been stung badly with a useless architect and its actually got so bad that having got permission and Listed building Consent have found we have to re-apply due to the windows we intend to fit being slightly different to the plans submitted. All in all its a nightmare, but we're also going down the building notice route. Do enough re-search and you will be fine

Forsh said:
My local council web site has recent planning applications listed and even has downloads for the submitted drawings!

I like people doing that with my dawings , I have just had somebody pay up before i started legals with them , didnt have to do anything.

As for picking up a home drawn planning application to do building regs , its the normal price, no saving as the job has to be surveyed and drawn from fresh anyway

Richard C said:
Colin_p said:
Building Notice, whereby you simply tell building control what your doing, pay the fee, they come down at key stages and you simply have a chat and make things up (jointly) as you go along. (this IS what you want)

and a builder who knows what is required .

I wouldnt recommend it for any diy'ers though

Robert too said:
Richard C said:
Colin_p said:

and a builder who knows what is required .

I wouldnt recommend it for any diy'ers though

And why may I ask is that ?

And how do you know what is required? By working with your building control people. There is no difference. In fact as a builder, I would suggest that you know what you can get away with, which may not be in the best interests of your clients?

Obviously, if your contemplating such an undertaking, you wouldn't do it with your eyes closed. And therefore if you do sufficient research there should be no issues.

Robert too said:
Forsh said:

I like people doing that with my dawings , I have just had somebody pay up before i started legals with them , didnt have to do anything.

As for picking up a home drawn planning application to do building regs , its the normal price, no saving as the job has to be surveyed and drawn from fresh anyway

What a fantastic bit of PR your doing for yourself, I don't think.

Also, your second sentence, it make no sense at all.

i am a builder with a fair few (25) years of experience in the trade.

i chose a good architect to draw up my extension, and to handle the initial planning and building control issues.

money WELL spent.

armed with a drawing, everyone knows where they stand.

i would imagine though, a poorly designed, or poorly run project could be a nightmare.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back