Architect quote for £2,770 for project costing perhaps £55k

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to know if the quote for architect services of £2,770 is reasonable or not.

The quote is in respect of a ground floor rear kitchen extension and conversion of our garage to a playroom/dining room. We expect the extension to cost £35-45k and the garage conversion to cost £5k-£10k.

The quote of £2,770 includes:

1. £800 - Stage 1 (Measured survey, design drawings and preparation of Planning Application) - To produce existing plans, sections and elevations. To produce proposed plans giving 2 layout options for discussion
NB: Further options can be produced on request and will be charged at an hourly rate (£50/hour). To arrange, prepare for and meet with the duty planning officer at the district council to discuss the proposals. To prepare the final design drawings together with the planning application documents or arrange for a certificate of lawful development.

2. £150 - Planning Permission application Fee.

3. £20 - Ordnance Survey maps showing the location of my house. This will be purchased online when submitting the planning application

4. Submitting of the planning applications on line. Any amendments to the above design once it has been submitted or any liaising on our behalf with the local authority before or after the application has been registered will be charged at the rate of £50 per hour plus travel expenses.

5. £1,800 - Stage 2 (Detail Design, working Drawings and Full Plans Application for Building Control Approval). To advise on the appointment of a structural engineer and liaise accordingly. To produce setting out plans and detailed elevations to brick dimension sizes, incorporating structural engineers design. Detailed sections to show construction of foundations, floor structure, walls and roof. Details to comply with Building regulations. Written report for building control application and schedule of works for builder to price against.

This quote excludes:

- the services of a structural engineer and also the services of a party wall surveyor.

- Any expenses incurred with regard to printing, photocopying, postage, contract documents, specification documents, and travel if appropriate.

All comments welcome as I have no feel for whether this is good value or not.
Many thanks for your time in advance

Sponsored Links
If the guy is an Architect (RIBA, ARB) then the fees may well be charged

If not, then I'd say about £800 all in for both the planning and b/regs - which will include visits and all printing/admin etc, but plus council and other fees

Most of your text in (1) and (5) seems like standard waffle to justify a fee.

Basically it will be ... visit site, ask what your want, tell you what you can have, measure up, do a drawing, if you like it send it to the planners, change it if you don't like it. Ring the planner up after a few weeks to see if all is well, then do the b/regs drawings and submit them and give you a few copies for quotes, and send to an engineer if need be. Job done

Oh my, this thread will likely turn into the usual rant from Joe Public about how expensive architects are.

Anyhoo, you could probably find a cheap as chips technician who will do the lot for £600 and you could easily find a commercial firm or architects who will charge you £6K and everything in between.

His quote seems to be including the planning fee and a meeting with a duty officer yet it says he is to apply for a Certificate of Lawful Development. So do your proposals require a planning application or a CLD? There is little point applying for CLD unless the proposed works are in a grey area of the rules.

Does his quote include the Local Authority Building Control fees or are these on top?

How much involvement do you think is required from a structural engineer, is this a simple making a hole in the wall to break through from the existing into the new?

If not, then I'd say about £800 all in for both the planning and b/regs - which will include visits and all printing/admin etc, but plus council and other fees
But you know ^woody^ that you cannot quote on a forum without seeing exactly what's involved, you don't even know if it needs planning or not so how you arrive at £800 is anybody's guess.

Sponsored Links
I'm using peca's pricing model. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

And it was not a quote ... an estimate. So not open for acceptance :rolleyes:

I am also doing an extension and garage conversion plus building a new set of garages.

I drew my own planning application plans. However i did have the advantage of have a set of my architect's original house drawings which i copied and drew the revised elevations and provided a new block plan etc. Took me less than half a day.

Accepted and planning permission granted i then submitted my building reg's application (£1054.00!!). I have emailed the Council any queries I have. No problems at all and saved myself a packet.

Would recommend others give it a try

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back