Structural engineers eh!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are building what will be an art studio at the mo', out of re-claimed bricks etc.

The roof is made up of 150mm x 50mm rafters at (min) 600mm c/c and is vaulted.

Near to the apex (550mm down vertically) are a pair of steel beams (yes two!) @ 356mm x 171mm x 57kg x 5640mm long! :eek:

Do SE's ever have to go on a course whereby they have to find ways to install these behemoths? Needless to say, the crane arrives at 9:00 am tomorrow.

They are going here....

Sponsored Links
Wall plate - wall plate is 4444mm.

Roof pitch is 43 degrees.

Each rafter is 3038mm from plate to ridge peak, so they are spanning aboot 2450mm up from wall plate to the purlin b/m.

The beam is spanning (clear) 5400mm.

Wall plate - wall plate is 4444mm.

Roof pitch is 43 degrees.

Each rafter is 3038mm from plate to ridge peak, so they are spanning aboot 2450mm up from wall plate to the purlin b/m.

The beam is spanning (clear) 5400mm.
I would have thought a 203x133x30 or something similar at the ridge would have done the job by itself. Maybe there are two beams to cut down the span of the rafters a bit, but then a couple of 203x102s or even 178x102s probably would have done...

I just don't get it...are they supposed to be a feature? :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Apart from the beams being ridiculously large, could they not have been spliced - might have been cheaper than a crane.

Crane? You could have have picked those up with the back actor of a JCB if you know anyone who has one.. 320kg each

Might have been cheaper to pay a different se! Sympathise with ya tho.. I've got the same insane over engineering in my building. Don't forget to fireproof them

Were doing a 60m long SE designed retainer at the moment.

One section is 3.3m tall x 1.2m wide. :eek:
Will take about 100 cube/m just to fill it. About 300m cube total. Be like hoover dam when its finished...lol.
And then a second pour above it.
Then we got a swimming pool and a chicken house to do. :mrgreen:

Crane? You could have have picked those up with the back actor of a JCB if you know anyone who has one.. 320kg each
There is a site 400 yards up the road with a Manitou, but access is a problem. I doubt he'd be able to swing in position either side of the building whilst carrying that length of steel, particularly in view of scaffold position and all.

Apart from the beams being ridiculously large, could they not have been spliced - might have been cheaper than a crane.
Crane is coming in at £300 inc.

It would have been equally as difficult job to lift them and join them as a spliced item what with having to support them whilst joining etc. The wall plates are set at 3m up from DPC. The purlins are another 1.5m up from the plates. This would have meant having a (non-portable) scaffold etc to be able to work on the beams which in turn would have prohibited lifting etc.

A crane was always going to be in the equation. Just shocked at the sheer size of the steels. Just hope the crane driver is a patient chap, as my banksmans hand signals are a wee bit ropey.

Just hope the crane driver is a patient chap, as my banksmans hand signals are a wee bit ropey.
Here you are - take this with you :mrgreen:
bs-7121-1-code-of-practice-for-safe-use-of-crane-24-638.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back